Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Define: Sacrifice

Dictionary.com defines it as: A forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.

McCain defines it by suspending his current campaign for the Presidency to go back to Washington D.C. to work with the current President and the rest of Congress because doing his current job and role of Senator is more important than a campaign to be President.

Obama defines it by by suspending his current job as a Senator and representing the people who elected him and continuing to campaign and further his desire to be President.

Now, I ask which one of these two is acting closer to the true spirit of what the word means? Which one is showing they have the quality and strength of character you would prefer as a President?


I also have to point out and question something as reported by the MSM.
McCain in his announcement asked for Obama to join him in suspending his campaign. Obama responed with the following statement: “Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time,” Sen. Obama said. “It’s not necessary for us to think that we can only do one thing and suspend everything else.”

My response to Sen. Obama is that while you are right in that Presidents do have to deal with more than one thing at a time, we the people expect them to do their job and deal with it! Not continue to campaign or further some legacy building project. We also hold these same expectations of our Senators and Congresspeople. Further, while I am not a registered voter of the great state of Illinois on their behave let me say: "Senator" Obama would you please get your personage back to Washington D.C. and do the job for which you were elected before campaigning for another!

Actually it may have been unfair of me to signal out Senator Obama so let me reiterate this statement in a more neutral fashion:

"Would all Senators and Congresspeople please drop what you are doing, get back to Washington D.C. and make sure the hard earned tax dollars of the people who elected you into office are used wisely and not squandered in a $700 billion goat rope. Set a side your partisan ship and safe guard not the CEOs, companies, committees, regulations, legacies that got us into this mess BUT the American people who will have to foot the bill!"

To those that are not in Washington D.C. because they have to campaign to keep their seat. Maybe you should think ask your self what the voters in your state/district are thinking when the person who THEY elected thinks holding on to their position of power is more important than doing the job the people gave them! Nov isn't that far away AND absentee voters are ALREADY in the process of filling out their ballots and sending them in.
I know from experience as I'm one of those absentee voters and to my Congress person: Rep. Ellen O. Tauscher I say the following: I received my ballot in the mail and will be watching the Daily Republic and Vacaville Reporter on-line editions to see how you "as a member of the NYSE and former Wall Street senior executive" handle this situation before filling out my ballot. On this is for sure, while I'm not going saying how I intend to vote what I will say is that the easiest way to LOSE my vote and guarantee I vote for someone else is for me to read about campaign events you attended in California while this mess is going on when you could be in Washington D.C doing the current job WE elected you to do. Especially since your NYSE and Wall Street experience would make you uniquely qualified to provide valuable input to the only going effort.


Ish

sacrifice. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved September 24, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sacrifice

No comments: